Greek Cabbage With Rice (Lahanorizo)
This Greek Cabbage with Rice is incredibly flavourful, yeat simple to make. Gluten-Free and Vegan. You can also make it oil-free.
- 450 g White Cabbage medium
- 3 Carrots medium
- 100 g. Onions
- 250 g. Whole Grain Rice
- 500 ml. Vegetable Broth or Water
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 tbsp. Miso Paste
- 5 tbsp. Tomato Sauce
- 100 g. Roasted Pine Nuts
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 Bay Leaf
Chop the cabbage, carrots and onions In a food processor or with a knife into small stripes/long pieces
Preheat the pan, add olive oil or few drops of water (if cooking oil-free) and sauté the chopped cabbage, onions and carrots by constantly stirring it on medium-high heat until the cabbage will reduce in size and release some liquid
Add your tomato sauce, miso paste, all spices and minced garlic, mix well while sautéing
Add rice to the pan along with vegetable broth and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer on low heat under the closed lid for 40-45 minutes or until the rice is soft enough. Add more broth or water if you need to keep the rice cooking.
- You can use fresh chopped tomatoes instead of tomato sauce in combination with 2 tbsp. of tomato paste;
- If you don't like garlic flavour, omit adding garlic at the end;
- Instead of roasted pine nuts you can add any nuts of your choice;
- I use whole long grain rice in this recipe. The exact time of cooking the rice with the cabbage will depend on the type of rice you are using.