This avocado zucchini pesto will definitely brighten up your dishes weather vegan or not. Pesto is such a versatile italian sauce,which is commonly used for pastas, pizzas, salads and as a bread spread.
I love making avocado pesto, because creamy avocados are a great source of potassium and omega 3. This pesto is oil free ( oil is actually not a whole food, because the oil is pressed out of seeds and nuts therefore it is unnaturally concentrated.
But this post is not meant to advocate is oil healthy or not. I just want to give you an amazing avocado-based pesto , which is packed with fresh herbs and even a zucchini.
This pesto is creamy, flavorful, with a bit of crunch. Perfect for eating fresh. I personally love eating pesto with gluten-free buckwheat pasta. It is quick and easy vegan lunch, which provides a lot of energy until dinner!
Avocado and zucchini combination is the pesto is not just delicious, but also very practical. The zucchini ads a lot of volume to it, so basically without zucchini to get the same amount of pesto you would need a second avocado.
Zucchini makes pesto even more substantial and keeps you full longer. Also it is a great option for kids to hide more greens in the sauce. That trick has worked for my picky son.
Vegan Avocado and Zucchini Hemp Pesto
- 1 large avocado
- 1/2 large or one small zuсchini
- A bunch of fresh parsley or basil (leaves only)
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp pine nuts (optional)
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place in a food processor or a blender all the ingredients , add a splash of water
- Blend until the hemp seeds are small enough, but still seen. Pesto is all about texture, it is better not to blend it so well like in a smoothie
- Keep the pesto in the fridge for 2 days maximum, best to eat fresh.
Enjoy my pesto recipe and let me know in the comments where you usually add your pesto!